Friday, October 29, 2010

"SKINNY FAT PEOPLE"

A misconception about what "Healthy" is has been sending people to their graves prematurely for a long time. Note that I said what “Healthy” is, not what “Healthy” looks like! It’s the idea that just because you are thin you are healthy that has been sending people to their graves prematurely. Magazines and the media promote this supermodel image, and we assume that that is what we should all strive to look like, or be. Maybe it would surprise you to know that many of these beautiful (on the outside) women may actually have high percentage of body fat! I encourage people of all sizes to exercise, and I often get the same response from individuals of the smaller size: “I don’t need to exercise”.  This statement cannot be farther from the truth. Health is measured not by size, or by how you look on the outside: it’s what’s on the inside that counts.  There is a difference between being thin and being healthy, and the difference lies in body composition.
Body composition is a measure of the lean tissue and of the fatty tissue that makes up your body weight. Your body is comprised of many tissues – fat, bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, organs and lots of water. Ideally it is best to keep fat lower and lean muscle mass higher.

skinny fat peopleBeing overweight is sometimes used synonymously with an unfavorable body composition; however, excess body weight is not a definitive assessment for unfavorable body composition, just as thin is not synonymous with fit and healthy. Extreme athletes or weight lifters can have a body weight that is considered outside of a healthy reference range, but their body compositions may be optimal due to the high amount of lean muscle. Body composition is measured by body mass index (BMI). It is calculated by dividing weight by height. A BMI in the range of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight, while 30 or more is considered clinically obese.

If you aim to be truly “Healthy”, your goal should be to maintain a healthy muscle mass along with eating a highly nutritious, low-calorice diet, which has been proven to slow the aging process. In addition, exercise regularly. Have you ever known an automobile that has never had an oil change, or gotten a tune up to last for years? NO! Neither can you expect your body to last you for years without changing its oil (proper nutrition), and making sure it has regular tune ups (exercise). Without regular exercise and the proper nutrition you are laying the groundwork for many chronic diseases associated with aging, and premature death.

1.     Adopt an exercise plan that incorporates cardiovascular exercise along with weight training. I recommend you do your weight training first followed by your cardio if you are doing them both on the same day.
2.     Eat protein with every meal, eat every three hours and skip the sugar.  Protein is the building block of muscle, and it is essential for repair after workouts.
3.     Keep stress levels manageable. Elevated levels of stress hormone can have a negative effect on body composition by increasing the breakdown of muscle mass and increasing the deposition of fat around the abdomen.

(CLICK TITLE TO COMMENT)

13 comments:

  1. I appreciate you reading. Feel free to give me input on fitness/nutrition topics you would like to see me post.
    Peace & Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a well rounded and informative article and definitely information that should be shared widely as I'm sure many feel alienated based on the very misconceptions that you mention. I've always used the term "bio-mechanics" to describe how we can best view the human body so that we more clearly understand that it is a machine that should be given the best "fuel" to help it operate properly. I'll be passing this article along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great and informative post!

    Of course thin surely doesn't always mean healthy. I have seen or heard of many thin people who have been plagued with a number of mysterious health illness and internal health issues are surely the worst! The flipside of that coin is that you see "hefty" people who regularly exercise and eat very well yet they are still "hefty" (excuse the lack of a better term).

    You have given three great tips in which people can take to that will really help them live a healthier and more productive life and I support each of the suggestions, I truly do. You truly are what you eat and you are a product of your lifestyle. If you exercise and eat healthy, then the signs of aging will be reduced and of course the opposite of that is not exercising and being subjected to health ailments and premature death!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for supporting this article, and commenting. I know I am sharing the right information when I receive comments. Feel free to give me input on fitness/nutrition topics you would like to see me post in the future.
    Peace & Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is right on time for me! The main thing that I would like to see are more specific instructions on helpful eating and exercise practices. I am a grazer by nature, but the problem is finding the right things to eat. Especially with a hectic schedule. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Yes, I have a number of tips I can suggest, and because you are the first person to request specific information I will make sure my next article is loaded with tips and information for you.

    For now as it relates to exercise I would suggest waking up 15-20 minutes earlier in the morning for 15 minutes of exercise. That can be:
    1). 15 minutes of Yoga (Target has 15 minute Yoga workout DVDs)
    2). 15 minutes of Pilate (Target has Pilate workout DVDs)
    3). 15 minute walk around the block
    4). 15 minute bike ride around the block
    5). 15 minutes of Functional Strength Training (5 minutes jump- roping, 5 minutes of abs-crunches, 5 minutes of push-ups, or dumble curls if you have dumbles)

    I would also work in 15 minutes of exercise before you go to bed. This will give you a total of 30 minutes of exercise for the day. You can choose any 15 minute workout from above. I will suggest doing a 15 minute cardiovascular workout, and a 15 minute strength training workout because both are important. So, don't do all cardio, and don't do all strength training.

    As it relates to Eating On The Go: Tupperware is going to be your best friend. Also, a good insulated lunch box is also going to be one of your best friends. Cooking for the week on your day off, or slow day is going to be really good for you. I cook on Sundays, and store my food in containers in the refrigerator, which makes it very easy for me to package my meals. When you can't do that I will suggest you locate whole food stores, or stores that carry some of the suggested snack foods, or on-the-go food below:
    1) Trail mix without added salt and sugar
    2). Yogurt
    3). Hummus and pita baked chips (Raw rainbow peppers and celery is great with hummus as well)
    4). Sushi
    5). Subway salads with chicken, turkey, or veggie burger
    6). Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (For vegetarians, which I just recently became myself, just ask them to leave the chicken off, and give you extra nuts, which comes with that salad)
    7). Cheese and crackers are great (Whole wheat, or any grain cracker with light salt)
    8). Sandwiches with some form of grain bread, veggies and/or baked or lean meat is great. (Try to stay away from chips unless it is baked)
    9) Peanut butter is a great snack on top of anything you like such as (crackers, celery, apples, etc.)

    I hope this helps, and I will be posting more suggestions soon. Thanks for your request!
    Peace & Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for commenting Tiffanie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!!! I love what you are doing. I think that it is wonderful. I seen you on youtube GREAT JOB!!!!

    MESHIA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meshia,
    Thanks for your support lady! Also, if you have any request for fitness/nutrition articles you would like to see me post, or videos you would like to see on my youtube channel feel free to give me your input.
    Peace & Love

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this article. I recently started on a path to lose 200 pounds, so it's wonderful to find such an informative blog. I see that you're a dancer...what kind of dance do you do? I would love to take up contemporary once I lose enough weight. I'd love if you could check out my blog...your support would mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete